Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Road to Kona; Chicago Edition #6

This past week week I had two goals - we dialed down the distances and times for a classic "cut back week" and to begin a mini taper for the upcoming Steelhead 70.3 on August 1st. I've been feeling a little tired and my job has been testing my time for quality training so my "long ride" was back to 90 minutes and "long run" at 90 minutes as well. I think I've re-charged a bit. I feel ready for the race and to move into the Ironman specific training distances in the next 6 - 8 weeks.

The only real challenge I see so far has been getting some good open water swims in this year. While I have been doing countless laps in the pool, I was hoping to get out in the lake a few times to practice with my wetsuit (which, I must say, I haven't worn since I finished the swim at Ironman Arizona last year). Living in Chicago, our only good option is the Ohio Street beach, which could be a great place since it has marked lanes and life guards for open water swimming. The downside is that it is basically open to all the run-off and trash from the city, so any rain turns it into an open sewer. And yes, Chicago has had a lot of rain this year. I see swimmers out there, but I'd rather not get sick from water. Besides, wet suits are not allowed at Kona, so what's the big deal, right? Only if it were so easy....

So any of you following my journey to Kona, please keep me honest and check back to make sure I am out in the open water. Until then, see you at the pool....

No comments:

Post a Comment