Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Road to Kona; Chicago Edition #4

Well, it looks like summer is still trying to arrive in Chicago. We've had a couple of hot days, but also a lot of rain forcing me to spend more time on my Computrainer than I'd like. Sometimes the trainer is appealing since it so easy to set up and not worrying about traffic, although I personally find it very tough to ride indoors longer than two hours. When the weather is good, we've been able to get in some solid outdoor rides of 3 - 4 hours, followed by transition runs. We particularly like the "LaGrange hilly" ride starting in downtown LaGrange.

A link from my facebook page to the course profile is here.Not bad a bad ride considering the 2,200 feet of elevation gain for the flat Chicago area. Plus, there is a Chipotle near the start / finish line for a post workout burrito...

This week's training:
Two big events this week. The first is that I am starting Break Through's Triathlon Swim Program on Monday. Yes, it starts at 5:30 am every Monday and Friday morning. The good side is that I'll get my swim workouts in before the day starts, the bad side is that it will be a real effort for me to get up that early. The second is a big workout Saturday, with a 2900 yard swim, 3.5 hour ride, then a 40 minute transition run.

Upcoming races:
I am planning on racing the Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 on August 1st. My main goal for this race is to practice my nutrition on the bike, a key weakness I had during Ironman Arizona last year. I'll discuss more about this in my next blog....

No comments:

Post a Comment