Monday, August 24, 2009

The Road to Kona; Chicago Edition #9

The road to recovery. Well, it had been one week since my accident on my bike. The good news is that nothing was broken, but I did loose about a week in training. I wish I could say that I was able to complete my workouts despite the pain, but I decided that it was better to heal properly so I could resume training with the proper intensity.

Of course, it is now one week closer to Kona and I feel this little setback came at a particularly bad time. Leading up to last week, I was working out some pacing goals for Kona so that I could finish in a 'respectable' time - meaning that I would not be in the bottom 10% of finishers. Now, I have some new goals of just making the cutoff times in each event and seeing how the day goes. I have read that it is better to enter the race a little under-trained than over-trained, and that will certainly be the case.

The next 10 days or so my training will move to the island of Lanai, Hawaii. Jennifer and I are getting married on Saturday and we cannot wait. Of course, from a training point of view it means another weekend not grinding out miles in my saddle, but we plan to get some great swims, bikes and runs in addition to relaxing on the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment